Na'vi-gation.

Sunday 24 November 2013

BFI Film Academy Sheffield

SO. It's been well over a year, I've changed the career that I'd like to pursue, and I've decided that I prefer The Dark Knight to The Dark Knight Rises.

So what else is new? I recently started at the BFI Film Academy in Sheffield, and I'm currently working towards my Silver Award, which involves creating a blog. This is that blog.



The career that I've decided to pursue is film making, specifically writing. With the Film Academy, in groups, we have to write, organise, and shoot our own short film, and I was given the task of writing it. I've never written a full script, and I've never been that great at finishing things. My personal challenge, was to finish writing a script.

Which I did! I'm working on the 3rd draft of the script now, but I thought it would be good to keep a log of each draft. So, I'm going to do a post for the next few days, with a script that I've written and an explanation of the script. Find the first script below:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Phy6c7gjZkPlLfcyCEPl6dBs95cgdl_x_y6sd0qZLtU/edit?usp=sharing

As a group we worked out the basic idea we wanted, and I tried to work it into a story; we wanted a woman, going forwards through the different stages of her life. The first draft of the story isn't that great, and I wasn't very happy with it. It was a bit convoluted, overly complicated, and it contradicted itself in a number of places.

Edit: The title, "Monsters in the Cupboard," is a working title.

Also, whilst my group and I understood the plot, to an outsider, with no knowledge, it was pretty confusing. The structure was a little bit terrible, and it just wasn't very focused. It was also slightly too 'arty' for my liking.

However, it did provide a good starting point for me to work from, and gave us an idea of what we were going to make. It was great fun writing it, and I learnt a lot which allowed me to improve the scripts that came after it.

No comments:

Post a Comment